Friday, August 15, 2008

Lessons I'm Learning Along the Road - Part 2

Choices

I received a phone call last night from a mom I met at M&M's gym class. She wanted to apologize for her perceived insensitivity of me. Let me explain. Her son has many sensory and tone issues. He usually needs an adult with him during class for assistance, but recently is feeling confident to explore alone. Yesterday, he did a somersault - first ever. He jumped up, eyes searching for his mom - and together they cheered. He in the gym, she at my side through the observation glass. Tears followed. This mom was so moved by her son's accomplishment that her emotion overtook her, and she reacted in the most genuine mom way. She was concerned that her excitement was insensitive to how I must be feeling because of Eamon's situation. I assured her that her reaction was most appropriate, and that I recently had a similar experience with Eamon - the belly laughing.

This reminded me that for many people our "situation" seems quite difficult. And sometimes, it is. But, the greater part of our time is spent rejoicing over the beauty we see in and through Eamon's life. I have found that God gives us what we need for each day, plenty of common grace. But, what is required of me is the choice. I have to decide to trust, decide to believe, decide to be joy-full. And when I do, when I decide to count on God - He meets me, every time. And it's immediate. I might toil over the choice, time wasted there, but God's response is always immediate. He has yet to fail me.

The Box

I am a think-inside-the-box-kind of girl. Life in general, and in particular with Eamon, requires some outside the box experiences. David and I have contemplated sending the video clip of Eamon laughing to one of the high-risk Dr's we had when I was pregnant. She clearly questioned our "commitment to the pregnancy" and was certain that death was the "fetus's" only future. And so, here you have our little man, laughing in the face of all that was pronounced over him. Life existing outside the box that she placed him in. Life, different from all she knew it could be. Life abundant and full - outside the box. As a matter of fact, blowing the top right off!

And then there is our knowledge of God. How can we explain Him and His ways? They too do not fit into my neatly lined-up boxes. His ways and thoughts are so much higher than mine. I read recently, who would want to worship a God who can be fully comprehended? One limited by my capacity to create. He is I am - what does that mean? To me, it means He is in all of it: the pain, struggle, and tears; and, the miracles and wonders, peace that passes understanding, and the joy unspeakable. He is with us and for us. Always working all things together for our good and to make his glory known.

Gift List continued

111. Encounters with God - in or out of the box!

1 comment:

Superhero Mom said...

Wonderful words Tracy. What is true about this is that unfortunately in this broken world, there will always be someone with a situation that is "worse" or "different", but even those people are most likely able to find the joy in their situations. It is necessary for survival, I think! We need to "joy-full" in all things and the Lord does indeed meet us right there! Love this post Tracy - full of wisdom! Love you!