Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Beginnings

David and I celebrated our anniversary on Sunday - 12 years married + 5 years dating = half my lifetime! We spent a night away at an Inn on Greenwood Lake. Eamon joined us. It was a complete pleasure to have him along - he is good company, especially now that he is laughing. We treasure every moment with our little man! David and I were able to simply laugh, and delight in time spent together.

I found the excitement Maeve and Myles were exhibiting to be contagious! They were counting the days until their respective sleepovers (Maeve to Mimi's, Myles to Grandma's), but more importantly to the big day. They were consumed with knowing the details of our beginnings. We looked through our photo album and watched the video. Myles gave up by the end of the ceremony, but perked up for the Macarena - Uncle Jeff looked pretty impressive on the dance floor! We all laughed and cried as we looked back to where it all began. And I realized how significant this celebration was for our children. August 10, 1996 is where the "Barclay 5" story began, their story. And so we thought it fitting to take our M&Ms out for a special dinner the eve of our anniversary.

Maeve and Myles love steak - so we dined at Ruth's Chris Steak House over looking the Hudson River with such a view of the city. Maeve and I primped for some time, carefully choosing our dresses and accessories. The boys, meanwhile, played ball in the yard and dressed within 5 minutes. We enjoyed sharing a toast (or two, or three, or four - everyone had something to say). Maeve was taking notes on what exactly is involved in a romantic dinner : atmosphere, lighting, music, delighted senses, and of course, great company.


I think we may have started a tradition - August 9th, the eve of our anniversary, and a celebration of beginnings. Here's to the Barclay 5!


Gift List:

110. Our 12th anniversary. I'd still say YES!

"Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be"



4 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

I'm not sure if it's because it is 6:30am, or you just know how to touch my heart strings, but tears are swelling in my eyes. I remember when you were married. I really would love to see the Barclay 5 again very soon. I can just picture you out to dinner (and boy when you guys go out you really make it worth your while - YUM!) with your M&M and I think how incredibly special. (It dawns on me that our children were so young when they last saw each other). Oh we are in desperate need for a reunion. I love you and Happy Anniversary to you and David - truly a match made in Heaven.

Oh yea, thank you for your comment on my blog - Woman - you stay up very very late! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary a bit belated!

I love that particular Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - the Rogers gang have had some fun dinners there throughout the years! Sounds like this dinner continues with that tradition.

Love you - the countdown to HH begins...

ginny said...

Glad you had a nice time at the inn - I did too! have a great time in Hilton Head for the next few weeks - we're headed to the beach ourselves next week! Enjoy and be safe ! Hugs and kisses to the kids !

Lisa said...

Hope you have a wonderful time in Hilton Head. We pray for a safe and comfortable trip down, and that God will keep "our little man" HEALTHY AND HAPPY! Keep the belly laughs coming! We'll miss you all. (Poor Emma still thinks Myles is coming to "our" beach for a camp out this week.)