Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Looks like Late Week

We are getting closer! But, it looks like a Thursday/Friday discharge. Eamon is well, smiling, and waiting patiently. The delay is over the type of breathing machine appropriate for the prince. The "vent" is very costly, far exceeding any insurance coverage, so alternatives are being evaluated. These details are taxing. Caring for Eamon, in any capacity, is our joy. But this... exhausting!

Today was St Patrick's Day. A day to celebrate family, faith and our rich heritage. I find so many days are a juxtaposition - joy countered by the hard details of life. And today was an obvious parody. Sun shining, Irish eyes smiling, family gathering while Eamon waits in the hospital, so many changes on the horizon, and I felt the jarring balance of goodness with adversity.

My brother, Jerry, forwarded an excerpt from St Patrick's Breastplate - believed to have been his daily prayer of confession and invocation of the blessings inherent in our walk of faith. It brought me strength for this day, this particular season of life, and spurred me onward when a lament threatened.

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,

Splendor of fire,
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's hand to guard me.

Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today
Against wounding.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength of the Lord.

2 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

Ah...tis so beautiful! I am praying for you my friend. I think of Moses on the mountain as the war went on below....as he continued to hold up the rod of God the Israelites would win, when he let down the rod, they would begin to lose the battle. That is when Aaron and Hur lifted Moses's arms so that the rod could stay lifted. Consider Mike and I an "Aaron and Hur" as well as all of those other wonderful people in your life who are supporting you. At times when you feel like you just cannot lift up those weary arms...that is when we come beside you and lift them for you. You are loved my dear friend and we are all blessed to be witnesses to the victories in your life!

ginny said...

Well said Lisa - Love that !