Saturday, March 7, 2009

Seeing With Our Own Eyes

Mimi offered to sit with Eamon so David and I could spend the some time with M&M. I left late morning after meeting with the team. It would seem that Eamon's "buffer" system is out of balance - CO2 is still too high, electrolytes too low, and bicarbs, produced by kidneys to counteract the CO2, too high. They are using a cocktail of medicines to bring it all back together. Eamon will remain sedated until the trach is replaced on Wednesday in an effort to keep him comfortable. He will continue on the vent, true weaning to begin once he wakes up.

At home, Maeve was just out of sorts. Fussing and crying over such trivial things. I too was feeling a bit overwhelmed until we found ourselves in a snuggle. I asked if she was missing the prince, enough of a probe to get a foot into her world. She started to cry, or increased the intensity of the already present tears, and started to share her heart. Yes, she did miss Eamon - terribly! Seeing his empty crib, toys and equipment made her feel sad each day before school. We commiserated for a bit, had a good cry, and then felt better with a decision to visit Eamon later in the day.

The reunion was sweet, M&M could see with their eyes the answer to many prayers laying peacefully in bed. Certainly, a reason to cry but with gratitude and praise not in fear... sometimes we just need to see with our own eyes.

I will post some photos tomorrow, so you too can see with your own eyes ... "oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!" Psalm 39:8

2 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

It's amazing how much our kids pick up on. Sometimes, I forget that Z&T have feelings beyond what's on TV or what to have for dinner. What a good Mommy you are for picking up on her need for some Mom time...and sitting still long enough to get to the root of the issue (that's my problem...the still part!)

We love you.

Superhero Mom said...

Bless her heart. Again there is that sensitive little heart bearing all. I agree with Amy, you are indeed a wonderful Mom. I find that the best time to talk with my boys is when they are all snuggled up with me! It must feel like the safest time to unload their burdens and cares. Shane will often say to me..."Mom can we snuggle...and that is when I drop everything (except the middle of making dinner) and find our spot. Tracy I hope you can feel my love for you. I love you dearly!