Monday, June 9, 2008

The Wilderness

At church, a pastor was talking about wilderness experiences. I would not have thought I was in one, but apparently my life fits the bill. He said, God always provides a promise before we go into the wilderness that will be used to sustain us until we get to our promised land. For me, my promised land is Eamon's complete healing. But until then, I need to walk a sometimes difficult and fine line. One that leaves the door wide open for God's miraculous intervention, while at the same time dealing with the day-to-day details of life with a "medically fragile" child.

Between my 20 week ultrasound and Eamon's delivery at 39 weeks, God poured life into my spirit like no other time in my walk of faith. Clearly, He told us not to be afraid because our prayer had been heard. That simple verse has helped sustain us on more occasions than I could mention. God delivered me from all fear, and any time something begins to rise up, simply repeating that verse brings back my peace.

That being said, Eamon - our sweet, little man is scheduled for surgery on Monday and peace seems to be evading our hearts and home. David and I are spending the next 24 hours in personal prayer as how we should proceed - surgery or not. There are serious risks for Eamon to undergo anesthesia. They will need to intubate him - a ventilator will do his breathing, but the trick will be extubating him from the machine. His respiratory system is not stable, requiring O2 support. Also, the fundoplication will permanently alter Eamon's stomach and esophagus.

I know God can and does speak to us through his word, in prayer and worship, and through others -in the council of many is wisdom. I would personally prefer an audible voice at this point. Please pray that God would make his will evident for this mom and dad, and soon!

As a side prayer request, both Maeve and Myles have a stomach virus. We are just having loads of fun, and laundry. Maeve is supposed to get the old cast off tomorrow, which is really today...I need to go to bed!


Gift List continued:
31. Read alouds with my babies - we just finished Charlotte's Web.
32. Kid birthday parties - from fun invites to the homemade cakes.
33. Little love notes from Maeve - using inventive spelling.
34. Watering flowers - mindless time spent outdoors.
35. My pink agenda - I just love to write in such a colorful place.

2 comments:

christi davis said...

Hello! You may not know me by name or face but, I am your sister-in-christ. I adore your spirit. Although our sons both have obsticles to face, they are blessed in so many ways. May God continue to embrace you with His loving, giving arms.
Your brother, Tim told me about your inspiring site. I will keep your family in my prayers!
Christine Davis
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lawdavis

Barry Family said...

We are covering your family with prayer. Faythe does not know about Eamon's surgery yet, but she has been asking to pray for him a lot lately. One of the times she prayed, she thanked God for healing Eamon and prayed that He would allow us to see Eamon's healing. Out of the mouth of babes. We love you guys!
The Barry Family