Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Deeper Still

From the beginning of the Eamon journey, God has been working to refine my understanding of who He is.

Immediately after news of trouble with our pregnancy (and I do mean immediately, right there in the room) David and I prayed for God's miraculous intervention. We asked everyone we knew to pray. The raging question for me was did I have the faith to believe that God could heal Eamon. I believed it for everyone else, I believed God could answer any other prayer; but now, I was praying the most personal of prayers - one for my baby. It just so happened, well just so divinely happened, that the day of my ultrasound I had begun a new bible study. We were studying the Old Testament, and for the first time in my life God's word was alive to me -literally it was life to my spirit. It was here that God birthed a deep desire to really know Him, unlike the way I had known Him before.

Now, fast forward to the present. That theme, or call, to know Him is overwhelmingly getting my attention. The songs I hear - "I won't be satisfied...'till I find, who You are", the names of events I read of - "Deeper Still", my current bible study, others writing about pressing in and digging deep, Sunday's sermon, I could go on.

My pastor challenged us to watch that the distractions of life don't shift our focus. The quest to know God, to lock our eyes on Him, for He is our reward. That revelation knowledge of who God is, is the point to all of life. And, I am learning that to seek only the answer to my prayers, and not the One who answers them, would be to miss the full purpose of Eamon.

I believe part of the beauty of our Eamon journey, is being drawn closer to God. As parents, our greatest desire for our children is that their lives would honor God and bring glory to the One who created them. Eamon does this. He compels others to think about God - to talk to Him, read about Him, and even question Him.

"Whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ..." (Phil. 3:7,8)

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind, and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Phil.3:13,14)

1 comment:

Superhero Mom said...

I couldn't have said it better. That is exactly how I feel. I have prayed that the Lord would just keep me in this place of desperate desire to be close to Him, even if it means that the circumstances have to always be present. I am realizing really understanding Paul in a new light now. I would rather have the challenging circumstances in my life if it means I'm in a constant state of desperation for my Jesus! I love you!