Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mourning

Usually, our days progress quite normally. We don't focus on the deficiencies, but are on constant watch for the "good news" of the day. But, some days my eyes loose their focus, and I see a reality I never imagined would exist. I have been following the story of a family that lost their newborn. Their journey often reminds me of very difficult days during our own pregnancy. We both received a fatal report at our 20 week ultrasounds, but God purposed for Eamon to live. I often wonder why I connect with her present journey. She lost her precious baby. I have my sweet boy. She is going through a grieving process, and I realized - so am I.

Life has taken us on a different journey than we planned. I always wanted at least three children. I love being pregnant. I love giving birth. I love newborns. I love nursing. I love every stage I have experienced as a mom. Life with Eamon has not allowed me to relive all the joys of development or excitement of reaching new milestones. And I am grieving that loss. Especially today.

I was pulling out clothes for Eamon that Myles had worn. Real cute summer stuff, I had ever so carefully packed away in hopes of getting the chance to reuse them. I was remembering Myles in those outfits. He was 1, just like Eamon. Only I see Myles sitting, standing, attempting first steps. Smiling and laughing and playing. I can hear his little voice, but none of this is true for Eamon. And my heart breaks.

I found two jars of baby food in the back of a cabinet this evening. Eamon's food. This time last summer, I was nursing him and introducing cereal and fruit. But now, my ears ring with a pump that brings him all his nourishment, and I feel that loss.

Trying to keep this crazy summer schedule, running all over, asking for help from the grandmas stings. I want to take my children to their activities, but it sometimes seems impossible because I can't move around quickly or easily with Eamon. I miss the normal hassle of lugging the third child around with the older siblings. I mourn losing our normal family.

Maeve remarked that I am often busy with the baby. And I felt the pain of not being able to meet everyone's needs.

Usually, I do not allow too much time for lamenting. What real good could come from that. But, there are just some moments of some days when I do, and for a short time I allow myself to simply feel the loss and be sad.

Just getting some of these thoughts out, crying as I type, has helped lift my sorrow. And as usual, God's perfect timing has allowed my current bible study to shed some light of my situation. The author is discussing the difference between what is true and the truth. It is true that Eamon is different than other children. But God's word is the Truth I depend on.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"(Eamon) is fearfully and wonderfully made...All the days ordained for (him) were written in your book before one of them came to pass." Psalm 139: 13-16

"I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13

I know so many pray for Eamon, and he is a good and perfect gift from above. He is who God has willed for him to be. And, we are the family God planned for Eamon to join. God could have chosen differently, on many occasions, but God in his sovereignty has ordained that Eamon would be here for such a time as this!

I am thankful for this new journey.

6 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

This touched my heart. I can feel, to a degree, your sorrow. I understand your emotions and feelings. They are all so real. It was good for you to write all of this Tracy. It is good for others to see that though you are eternally grateful for all that the Lord has blessed you with in your three miracles, still you mourn what could have been (or what might still be). I have read this amazing story entitled Welcome to Holland. I think you may have read my "Welcome to Engel-land" in my blog. But basically it talks about the fact that when we were pregnant we thought we were on our way to Italy - a beautiful destination. So we learned Italian, we love Italian food so that's already easy, we look forward to visiting the different places that we've read about....(or in your case that you have already been to and enjoyed), but when we land the pilot says "Welcome to Holland". Holland! You have never been to Holland, you don't know the language, you don't know if you like the food, you were not planning on going to Holland. Italy is prettier and that is where you planned to go! When you get there and after you live there you begin to realize some of the nice things about Holland. The windmills, the beautiful surroundings, you begin to learn the language, albeit slowly. It basically becomes a new kind of normal. If you send me your email address I will send it to you. It brought so much comfort to me. Just knowing what I was feeling was so "normal". Anyway, I just typed an entire story here. Sorry. I think if you click on the envelope you can email me and send my your email - I'll send this to you. It is about Autism, but it can relate to anything. I love you dear Tracy and thank you for being so real - it blesses me so much!

Momma-of-5 said...

Tracy Catherine,
You are SO real and I love you! Often, when I'm praying for Eamon, I feel like I should be praying for you, too. But I never know how. Now I do! I read Lisa's comment, and she's right. It's so good for you to get it out. Although it's not quite the same, I feel some of the similar pains as you. Whenever Zoe or Ty say that I'm always too busy with the babies, I feel guilty. I hate asking for help. I feel like I'm cheating. I want to do it all. I want to be the best mommy. I want to be there for everything. But I'm learning, I can't. I just can't. I can do my best. You're a great Mom, TC. You have great kids. That didn't happen by fluke. You and David do a great job with them. You're doing a wonderful job with them.

Love you,
Amy

Mimi said...

Tracy Catherine,I read your blog this evening 7/10/08.It is so beautiful I had to comment.I sat at the computer and cried for my baby girl.It brought me back to when you were 1 year old and how people would stop to look at you.Your beautiful round face and BIG beautiful eyes that were dancing in your head.You were a beautiful baby girl who grew to be a beautiful women of God. Now you have Your Beautiful Man Of God Eamon.A Special Adventure and Journey thats only for you and David.There are others that God has brought along and placed on board.Tracy,how God loves to see your beautiful dancing eyes gazing into His and your beautiful WARM SMILE as you enter into His gates with Praise. Oh how HE loves you! In Philippians 3/12 His Word tells us to forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead.The Best Is Yet To Be for THE BARCLAY FAMILY. We Believe and receive by Faith Eamons Complete Healing.GOD is very close to all of you.He is always with you.

Momma-of-5 said...

I have to comment again...because I just read Mimi's comment. I love her...she's very gifted with words! LOVE YOU MIMI!

mor-mor said...

Just today I read about "mourning" in the book of Ecclesiastes.it was about the times & seasons in our lives.there is a time for everything.my eyes finished the sentence & after mourning comes "dancing".I have tried to get on your blog but have had no success so I read it tonight & had to try again.( interestingly I would get that word this morning)Your blog is inspirational & anointed Jesus shines through in every word you write.He is lifted up glorified & magnified.
Dear One.when God is silent he is never still but working in ways unseen to us.He has allowed the kingdom of God to come close to you for a plan purpose & destiny that has not as yet been realized.His ways are not our ways they are higher.His word never returns void.While our circumstances seem at times unmovable.We must move on to the rest of the sentence about seasons & times.the season of dancing.I give that word to you this evening ...get out those dancing shoes for surely your season of dancing is coming.
blessings & my love

Lisa said...

After reading was was written today, I look back at my life six years ago and remember so well those feelings of "mourning." It would be the last time that we could "afford" to try and have a baby. We were exhausted mentally, finacially, and physically. MY LIFE WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE THAT! Now I look back after having two beautiful babies and know that there was a purpose and a plan. God was letting me know that HE was in control and not ME! I know that with "our little man" your life is "Different", but "Different" is a GOOD THING! God has chosen you and David to live this "New" and "Different" life for a reason and we all feel so blessed that he has chosen our family to be a part of it. Tracy, I have written this to you before, but I want you to know that YOU inspire me to want to become the best mom I can be.
"AS A MOM, YOU SERVE THE MOST HIGH GOD, AND HIS DREAM FOR YOUR LIFE AND FOR YOUR FAMILY IS SO MUCH BIGGER AND BETTER THAN YOU CAN EVEN IMAGINE."
So with that in mind let us sing praise to the new "NORM"
Love all of you much and know we are always here for you!