Friday, July 11, 2008

First Steps!

This morning, Maeve chose to stay home to just "be" with Eamon and me. She is so attentive to her little fella. During spa time, Maeve washed Eamon's hair. I was so inspired by her example of serving another. "Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart."(Psalm 24:4) Could there be anything more pure than a 6 year old loving her brother with a selfless act. This is something she can do for him - her part to play in our journey.





So much love to give.


"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."


Maeve helped dress Eamon, and she sat on my bed talking with him while I showered and dressed. Such devotion.
We went off to therapy. Fridays we see Miss Lisa ( a post solely about how God uses this beautiful woman to come), and she always encourages Maeve and Myles to participate. Today, Lisa was so pleased with how Eamon looked - good coloring, stronger movements, and medically stable. As Maeve got on the mat, right up close to Eamon, he vocalized. Lisa noted Eamon's obvious recognition of his big sister.
Later, Eamon was upright and Lisa asked Maeve to help her with the therapy. Eamon's head was facing one direction, Maeve was on the opposite side, and began tapping his arm and calling his name. First, we could see just his eyes go to her side and slowly his head followed. "Great job, now move around to the other side and repeat." Tapping, Tapping, name called, and waiting. The eyes first, looking for his girl, and wait, wait, wait...head follows.
This we repeat two more times and were met with the same success. It was so thrilling, this is a milestone for Eamon. Clearly it was not coincidence, Eamon was purposely responding to Maeve's voice - a first step of sorts, the beginning of communication that we can expand upon. God is good, a token for a mommy desperate for a milestone! And, music to Maeve's ears - "He really knows his big sister!" How couldn't he. Her love breaks through, grabs hold, and pulls him to the surface, much to our delight.

3 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

Ok I have got to stop crying at the start of every morning. How beautiful. I am so proud of Maeve. She is a beautiful big sister and I am so proud of Eamon - WOW! Praise God he moved his head in the direction of his sister's voice. Oh God is so good! Thank you for sharing that milestone with us!

I wanted to mention that when you click your email address below, what that does is send you each comment posted to the post you just commented on. You'll see because you will start getting email regarding the comments posted on my blog (on that particular post). So, let me give you my email again, so you can privately send me your email address and I will send you that story. lengel6@cfl.rr.com I love you Tracy! Have a great weekend, full of even more miracles!

Momma-of-5 said...

What a great big sister! What a great "First step". Praise God!

ginny said...

Eamon's little milestone today pulled at my heartstrings! (yes, of course, it made me cry). We are SO PROUD! of him and his big sister, Maeve. You and David are such a great loving example of God's love for us all! I know you will continue to see more milestones like today! We love you all- M & M & E and you and David too!