Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Endless Thanks

On the eve of Thanksgiving, traditionally a night that hosts church services solely designed to give thanks, I want to cultivate a heart of gratitude.

Throughout my days I encounter many moments where God seems to give me a "wink" but I am not always quick to jot it down, or type as the case may be. Inevitably, I forget those specific "winks". And so the Gift List, intentionally looking for and documenting reasons for my joy.

If I was able to attend such a service dedicated to praise this is what I would have to offer:

133. Impromptu lunch with my friend and our children. Our shared history makes conversation possible above the chaos that naturally ensues when little ones and alarming child are involved.

134. Missing my family -odd intro to this gift, but Mimi and Papa are out of town for the holiday. So even though I might still have been with David's family - something just doesn't feel right. It's good to miss people sometimes because it reminds you of the blessing of closely located family. I don't want to take that luxury for granted.

135. Thanksgiving Chapel Service at M&M's school this morning. Children singing praises, reading God's word, and leading those attending by example set the tone for this holiday season.

136. The Thanksgiving Prayer Walk that followed chapel. It was a small gathering of parents that walked from the flagpole to 7 identified locations around the school building praying for our children and their teachers. It was such a sacred assembly because God clearly is found when two or more gather in His name.

137. My little ones excitedly preparing for a reader's theater presentation they will spring on the family at our celebration tomorrow. Complete with pilgrim hats and props.

138. Eamon's contagious smile, warming my heart with each breathy laugh.

139. A new seat for the prince, albeit a loaner, allowing him to join us at the Thanksgiving table. Sitting up, soaking in all the sights and smells. Laughing, I'm sure, all the while.

140. Days off to decorate, a tradition for the Barclay 5 to deck the halls the day after we feast. And, a little extra exercise to assuage our guilt.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

colleen said...

They all look so adorable!!! can i get a copy of those 2 pictures..i could use a few new ones for my office =)