Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Looking Back - Part 4


I think we need to move things along...a bit.


The day before Eamon was to be born, remember - now there was a scheduled c-section, I busied myself like any nesting-mama-to-be would. Finishing up laundry, cleaning and primping all Eamon's sweet little things, readying our home for whatever lied ahead, 24 hours ahead, to be exact.

I was excited. We planned on a special dinner with Maeve and Myles complete with presents for the "Big Sister and Big Brother". The kids were dropped at Grandma's for an overnight - I needed to be at the hospital by 6 am. Kisses, hugs, and a quick swing by my parents' house. I felt peace-filled and told my family I was moving past praying and into praising. God knew all the details, He didn't need any last minute panic-prayers from me. I was just going to thank Him for my son's life, and jump in the front car for the roller coaster ride. We were making our ascent. And my arms were reaching for the sky.

As we lay in bed, I asked David if he was afraid to see the baby? What would he look like? The Drs believed Eamon's head would be tiny due to the lack of brain, and his body would be quite disproportionate. Overall, they anticipated a full-term baby that was significantly under weight. My husband's immediate response quieted any lingering fear - Eamon will look great, he'll be handsome and perfect in every way.

We drove to the hospital, emotions beginning to rise but peace still blanketing us. In the parking lot, David suddenly got sick. There was my partner, face in the gutter. Was it nerves or a virus? It didn't matter, the drs thought it wise for David to watch the birth from the hall. Thankfully my mom, dad, and sister had planned to be at the hospital to pray and wait, offering support with their mere presence. A quick phone call was made asking Mimi to join me in the delivery. She was ecstatic. Apparently, she hung up the phone and reported, "Well David's out and I'm in, let's go!" (such beautiful concern for my husband ). Mimi raced over, obeying all traffic laws, I'm sure!

Me...being prepped.

Drs Barclay and Rogers reporting for duty. How cute is Mimi?

If my mom was anxious, it never showed. We laughed at the turn of events, as a matter of fact, we laughed at just about everything. There was joy in that room as we prepared to meet our sweet prince. David could stand at the door, I could hear his voice, but not see him. His view was perfect, even better than by my head which is where my mom was perched, reporting every detail as we progressed.

The operating room was full - various drs and several intensive care nurses available, but a general atmosphere of anticipation arose - a baby would soon be born.

1 comment:

colleen said...

mimi and i just read this together...first of all i love her in scrubs!!!! what a great morning =)