Friday, February 20, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

While in the ICU after Eamon's surgery, I was looking through a Chinaberry catalog. There was an opening letter, a "Dear Friends" section, that really resonated with my "new normal". The letter had originally run in 1994 and was being reprinted. The author had a 2-year old daughter with severe mental and physical disabilities. I have taken the liberty of personalizing her analogy, because I believe it to powerfully portray the beauty and challenge of our "new normal"



The Road Less Traveled

Everyone had gathered, preparing to drive to a favorite vacation spot. I watched people wave to each other as they got into their big, comfortable cars. Beside me was a shiny, red tricycle. Someone cheerfully told me that this is what I would be driving. As the other cars sped off down the highway, I stood there in disbelief. How could I go anywhere on a tricycle? I felt disappointed, confused, and overwhelmed by the challenge. Surely it was a mistake, and someone would soon be bringing me a car too. A tricycle simply would not work for me. Tricycles are just too small, they are slow, and well, people stare at adults riding tricycles.

All of which was true - at first.

But after a while, I noticed that the pedal-pumping was creating nice muscles in my legs, and the fresh air felt good against my face. I began to smile, and before long, children and many knowing adults began to smile back at me from their cars. Soon the cars could only be heard from a distance. My little tricycle and I were on a beautiful path reserved just for bikes. What joy felt when I found some wildflowers beneath my feet and a beautiful flowing stream on my right. I looked off at the speeding cars and felt blessed to be experiencing these hidden treasures.


Soon, I noticed David alongside me - cheering me on and pointing out new sights. Maeve and Myles followed closely on their own tricycles. They seemed right at home in our new environment, and glad we could experience this unexpected joy together.

"David," I shouted, "the sign says 42 miles!" I had been enjoying my journey so much that I wasn't even thinking about our destination or the other cars. I had met so many wonderful people along the path, and many from the highway had pulled over to share in our view.

I realized, I was not a "road-less-traveled-kind-of-girl" by nature, but that God had chosen this terrain for me. He was, and is, making this path one of beauty, joy, and peace. And, I am becoming well-suited for such an adventure.

The road less traveled, chosen for me, will be the path that makes all the difference.
Thank you Lord, for choosing me to ride such a simple, but strikingly beautiful tricycle!

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint."
Isaiah 40:31

They will ride!

4 comments:

ginny said...

Tracy - great story ! I loved it (yea, it made my cry , but what doesn't?) I guess we all have our own version of "normal". But as I was reading and visualizing you, David and M and M on your tricycles, I pictured our little Eamon pulling up the rear on his own !!!We have so much hope and faith for what God has in store for his life !!

Superhero Mom said...

Yea!! You did what I did with Welcome to Holland! "Welcome to Engleland" It feels good doesn't it, to personalize it that way! I found doing that same thing, really was very theraputic! I loved this story!

On a side note, I picked up the phone to call you today just to tell you my little man was home. I was so excited, I wanted to call you (but felt a little silly - like OK this is really no big deal to the rest of the world only to you Lisa!!) Anyway, it tickled me that I wanted to call you first! I miss you!...and love you! Thank you for praying for us while he was gone!

Mimi said...

Tracy I wanted to comment on Ginnys comment on The Road Less Traveled.I believe The Holy Spirit gave her that vision of Eamon coming up the rear on his tricycle.God wants everyone that is led to pray for Eamon to SEE him HEALED COMPLETELY.God has more for Eamon than any of us can comprehend or begin to ask for.Gods word through Ginny is for us to lay down everything and surrender to God ALL our cares circumstances and concerns of this life and SIMPLY TRUST HIM!HE is our HOPE and we are TRUSTING HIM.

ginny said...

AMEN, MIMI !!!